Monday, July 28, 2008

The Magical Mystery Tour

We went to Liverpool and took the Magical Mystery Tour of the Beatles sites! It was tons of fun! I'll walk you through the sites so you can feel like you've taken the Magical Mystery Tour too.

First I'll show you the homes we saw, in the order we saw them.

George Harrison's birthplace at 12 Arnold Grove.

Here's Mendips, the childhood home of John Lennon where he lived with his Aunt Mimi and Uncle George. And this is 20 Forthlin Road, one of the many childhood homes of Paul McCartney in Liverpool. It's the last Liverpool house he lived in, and over 100 Beatles songs were written here.



This is the street Ringo was born on. A few years after he was born his family moved to another house in this same row. Here are the gates to Strawberry Field. I actually thought the song was about a field where strawberries were grown. Those of you who are hard-core Beatles fans will know it was actually a Salvation Army orphanage, and John Lennon used to play in this wooded area behind the orphanage. As you can see, there's lots of defacing graffiti--very unfortunate.

Apparently these Penny Lane signs get stolen ALL THE TIME. I can't say I blame people for stealing them--I love that song!

We especially loved all the stories our guide Neal told us. He told us about the first meeting of Paul McCartney and John Lennon (as we rode past the church where the meeting took place); he told us about many of the Beatles performances in Liverpool; he told us about letting George into the band and why they brought Ringo on board (because he was good with the ladies--unbelievable, I know); but my favorite Neal quote is: "Paul McCartney's always told me not to name drop." :) (Apparently he really has met McCartney several times, and he even played John Lennon's best friend in a US made-for-TV movie about the Beatles.)

As a souvenir from the Tour, we got this rare photo of the Beatles playing at the Cavern Club, where they played 275 times between 1961 and 1963. We went into the Cavern Club to get our souvenir photo and saw this stage.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I loved the Magical Mystery Tour as well as all your other blogs! What a fun summer Nick has had and that's been nice for you to have someone to keep you company while Jacob's been gone. I'm glad he will be home soon. How long does it take you to drive to Liverpool. From what I understand that is where you can catch a ferry to the Isle of Man. I set up a blog so I can make comments on all the blogs I stalk!! It's called Nosy Nancy but it doesn't have anything on it - like I said I only have it so I can comment. I can't wait until next the next blog of your fabulous adventures!! Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.