Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lion King


Yesterday I went to London with Jacob's fabulous coworker Marcia, and we saw Lion King on the West End! (Jacob was unable to go because he's been really busy finishing up his Master's program. He's ALMOST finished!)

The production is currently playing at the Lyceum Theatre (above), which was actually managed by Bram Stoker in the 1870s-1890s. I wouldn't say this production had the best vocal talent we've seen on the West End, with the exception of the lady who played Rafiki (the baboon), and maybe the kids who played the very young Simba and Nala. They were really good. But the part that really blew me away was the costumes. They were absolutely incredible. Since I can't really describe them, here's a video I found on YouTube (from the very production of Lion King I saw) that shows the scope of the costume genius. The way they did the giraffes was my favorite.



2 comments:

Melissa said...

The costumes and puppets and such in The Lion King are so fascinating! I'm amazed at the creativity of the designers of the show. I saw the musical in London in 2001.

Jennie said...

Sounds like another wonderful show! Way to go Jacob...finish strong :)