Sunday, July 12, 2009

To be, or not to be

Saturday we saw a production of Hamlet in London starring Jude Law! He was incredible in the role!

[We did have a few frustrating transportation snags on our way to the play and had to watch the first act from the lobby because we were late.] ):

For those of you who might not know, I'm a huge Shakespeare fan. Seeing a production of Hamlet in London is such a dream come true, and Jude Law was just the icing on the cake. I love the entire play, but some of the writing in Hamlet particularly excites me; here is a sampling (I'm totally skipping the really well-known passages from the play that everyone knows) ...


  • Beggar that I am, I am even poor in thanks (Act II, scene ii, Hamlet)

  • Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind (Act III, scene i, Ophelia)

  • I must be cruel, only to be kind (Act III, scene iv, Hamlet)

  • When sorrows come, they come not single spies, But in battalions. (Act IV, scene v, Claudius)

  • I lov'd Ophelia: forty thousand brothers Could not, with all their quantity of love, Make up my sum (Act V, scene i, Hamlet)

  • There's a divinity that shapes our ends, Rough-hew them how we will (Act V, scene ii, Hamlet)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow- what a great opportunity! Glad you had a good time!