Saturday, March 27, 2010

Windows by Chagall

Today we went to a tiny church in a tiny village called Tudeley to see a really amazing thing--the only church in the world where all its windows are by Marc Chagall, the super-important Modern artist. The windows were really cool and tell stories of Creation; Death and New Life; and Joy and Hope. Here are photos of some of the amazing windows--they were really beautiful.
/>
Pablo Picasso said: "When Matisse dies, Chagall will be the only painter left who understands what colour really is." This next window is my favourite. The four windows at the top are candles lighting the way to heaven.
"I have been fascinated by the Bible since my childhood; the Bible is a synonym for Nature"
--Marc Chagall

1 comment:

Mutti said...

Once again you have enriched my life and enlarged my horizons by your experiences in England. Lovely windows and a fascinating artist - Chagall.