Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Chicago

My brother Mike has a conference in Chicago this week, which was just the excuse we needed to take a road trip and spend the weekend there. I loved the city more than I expected to. It's beautiful, and we had a great time!


at Navy Pier
We started our Chicago trip with a visit to Wrigley Field for a Cubs game, which was lots of fun. Gavin made it to the 7th-inning stretch, which was more baseball than we expected him to take in.

At one point while walking through the city we happened upon a fire station. One worker (a dispatcher, I think) saw Gavin eyeing the engines and cheerfully invited him to climb into the one he liked best. He was in heaven!

Mike and I escaped for a couple of hours to the Chicago Art Institute, a fantastic place to which I hope to someday return. We saw so many masterpieces, including these:
"Two Sisters" by Renoir; "American Gothic" by Grant Wood; "At the Moulin Rouge" by Toulouse-Lautrec; "Wheatstacks (End of Summer)" by Monet; "Self-portrait" by Van Gogh; and "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by Seurat
Mike (and a painting by Jackson Pollock)

some funky statues outside the museum
Just a few more photos from our fun Chicago weekend...

(part of the) view from our hotel room

(more of the) view from our hotel room

Gavin was such a great traveler. The chocolate helped...
with Uncle Mike

(If, while reading this post, you've wondered what's up with Gavin's ear, I have answers for you. It swelled pretty big (reaction to a bug bite? infected bug bite? We're not sure), and we treated it using recommendations from 2 pharmacists. It's much better now.)

2 comments:

Ashley Lund said...

Ok I was wondering if it was just me or if it was his ear! I'm SO JEALOUS you got to see those masterpieces!!!

Becky Foster said...

Poor little ear. He looks so cute, and I love all the pics. You look beautiful!