Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Oktoberfest Zinzinnati

Over the weekend we participated in America's largest Oktoberfest celebration in downtown Cincinnati. Since we're not beer drinkers we went at lunchtime to enjoy the great food before it turned too much into a party of drunks. (Don't get me wrong: the lines for beer still snaked through the crowds.)
This guy leading the kids in the chicken dance was pretty authentic.

These two!!
We missed the part where George Takei, the event's grand marshal, led the crowd in what is apparently the largest chicken dance in the world. You can see video of that event here.
We were there for the food, so I'll just get right to it.
amazing sausage, pretty good sauerkraut and mustard, and the potato pancake
with a cameo in the corner

apple strudel... Mmmmmmmm
These below almonds are, as you can tell by the way I'm embracing them, a huge love of mine. If it had been much colder, I would have been able to close my eyes and smell them sugar-roasting and feel like I was back in Germany at the Christmas markets.
after the cherry strudel 

The people-watching was almost as good as the food. Here are a few shots of people who went all-out for the event.



I asked this guy if I could take his picture. He seemed more than willing to
show off his sartorial skills. :)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I heard about the Oktoberfest on NPR! How exciting that you were there.

Becky Foster said...

Oh, how fun! Glad you got to imagine you were in Germany for a bit! You look super pretty Rachel. Glowing!