Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My Wellies


I wouldn't have known what Wellington boots were before I moved here. I guess I always called them rain boots (how boring). But EVERYONE here seems to have a pair of Wellies they wear on rainy days or to work in their gardens. I've wanted a pair since we got here, and I just ordered these from Target (thanks, Scott!). I think they're pretty cute!

They're called Wellies in the UK after the famous Duke of Wellington, a national hero for his 1815 defeat of Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo. We've visited his London home, Apsley House (and the Wellington Arch across the street from the house), as well as his official residence as Lord Warden, Walmer Castle (here and here), where he died in 1852. There's an original pair of wellies on display at Walmer Castle. The above photo is the Wellington Arch and the guards on their way to the changing of the guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace.

(Side note: Wellington, the capital of New Zealand, was named for the Duke; and there are theories that the dish Beef Wellington was also named for him. He's a big deal. I just like the boots.)

2 comments:

Jennie said...

They are red of course!! You look great :) Can't wait to see ya :) oxoxo Jennie

KathiG said...

Hey, Rach, you like quite adorable in your "Welties". I bought the girls some for Christmas as they'd been begging for some. They were quite cute, too. Got 'em at Shoe Carnival. Unfortunately, they've only gotten to wear them once. They just aren't getting much rain and stuff down there. Us, on the other hand, had a snow storm move in Friday night & all day Saturday. Freaky!! I'm so ready for springtime. ;-)