Thursday, February 11, 2010

Two years

As of February 17, we've lived in England for 2 years, and we feel so lucky to have had such an incredible time! We're looking forward to the rest of our time here and fear it will pass too quickly. You might assume our trip to Israel/Egypt/Jordan last year is the highlight of the last 2 years, but I actually think England has been the highlight. This country has been every bit as lovely and beautiful as we imagined--maybe more so. Castles, mansions and theatre aside, England is fabulous on ordinary days too.
We love the weather, the history, the countryside, the language, the monarchy, the food, the TV and the people we've met. (We're serious about loving the weather, but it's actually a split decision on the monarchy.) The photos in this post represent our everyday love of England because we do find it charming even on days we don't do anything spectacular.

(Photos top to bottom: Jacob licking me at a tube station, photography by Mike F.; the Barton Mills village sign; beautiful countryside from the Uffington hill; Warwick village, taken from Warwick Castle; Jacob at Stonehenge; the white cliffs of Dover; King's College in Cambridge; and us at Walmer Castle, photo taken by Emily or Joel)

6 comments:

Jennie said...

Fantastic Memories :)

sheri said...

Happy Anniversary! Those of us who have been fortunate enough to visit you have enjoyed many of the same things! Thanks for living there.

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

England is fabulous on regular days as well, I agree! I saw snow drops today and got giddy with excitement about spring coming. It will come, I know it. :)

Heather B said...

I have to say that when I saw your photo of the Barton Mills sign with all of the spring blossoms, I just ached for springtime. I know it's coming, but man, I've just about had it with the cold, wet, foggy nastiness that is winter in England. Thanks for helping me keep the dream alive!

Unknown said...

For the record, we actually love winters in England--are we totally insane?! :)

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

You are not insane, I like them as well. I love fog, cold rain, and the occasion crisis of 2-3 inches of snow. I also love the happenings of spring, I love the summer here and the autumn. Love it all, maybe that is why we are trying to extend. Let's hope they say yes!