Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof



Saturday in London we saw Tennessee Williams' Cat on a Hot Tin Roof starring James Earl Jones and Phylicia Rashad. This production was directed by Debbie Allen, the famous choreographer/actor/producer. Performances by Sanaa Lathan and Adrian Lester were also incredible. (I love Jacob's talented timing in snapping the above photo right as a London cab was passing behind me!)

"Volcanic vulgarity" was the description in The Guardian (one of the big UK newspapers) of James Earl Jones's performance as Big Daddy. Jacob and I felt that Jones's performance was simply unbelievable. Seriously, it was that good.

The other interesting thing for me is that it's a very American story, set on a plantation in the Mississippi delta. This particular cast was all black, which was an interesting dynamic given the climate of the deep south when it was written in 1955. (And did I mention it's on a plantation?) It was interesting to be watching such a uniquely American play in London and wondering how it's received by the British audience around me. I was totally waiting for Adrian Lester to slip up in his American accent, but he didn't--it was perfectly spot-on all the way through. The whole production was fantastic!

Semi-related note: On my birthday last month I was delighted to report that I share a birthday with the First Lady. This play takes place on the birthday of Jones's character, Big Daddy. But in real life, James Earl Jones was born on January 17 too! (exactly 50 years before me)

1 comment:

Mutti said...

I enjoyed reading the review in The Guardian. Sounds like another fun day for you and Jacob!