Thursday, August 9, 2012

London during the Olympics

We went to London for an Olympic event (click here for details) and enjoyed spending the day seeing all the Olympic stuff throughout the city. I've been slightly obsessed with seeing the Olympic rings on Tower Bridge (below, with Mandeville (the Paralympics mascot) dressed as a Beefeater), so I was glad I got to see those.


Jacob's intently studying the Olympic wrestling icon.

Regent Street was decorated in all the flags of the participating countries. It was pretty cool.

 We went to Brazil's Olympic HQ at Somerset House where they're selling Rio 2016 Olympics merchandise (apparently the only place you can get it). We also posed for promotional photos and got free shirts! (I wore mine that evening to the Brazil v. Argentina basketball game. It's only slightly awkward for me that it says "BRA" in really large letters on my chest. It's, of course, short for Brasil.)
The Rio 2016 Olympics countdown clock
Shortly after we left the Rio 2016 countdown clock, these 2 TV presenters approached Jacob (seeing he was wearing his Brasil shirt) and asked if he would interview, in Portuguese, for a Brazilian TV station. They asked him questions about how he was enjoying the London 2012 games and what he thought of various events. I didn't understand a word of it, but I LOVED it.  How cool would it be if he were on TV in Brazil?!


the Olympic rings fountain in the Thames, with the London Eye and Big Ben in the background to the right

one more of the Tower Bridge + Olympic rings

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I am so thrilled that you both were able to enjoy the Olympic Games! What an amazing event to be a part of :) We love you tons and enjoyed living the experience through you guys!! ox

Becky Foster said...

Wow, you have some frameable pics! Looks like so much fun. So glad you got to go. I'd watch Gavin again today if you'd let me.