Saturday, April 24, 2010

Shakespeare's birthday


Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd get to spend one of Shakespeare's birthdays in his actual birthplace! Today we went to Stratford-upon-Avon to see a Royal Shakespeare Company production of King Lear. It was an incredible performance, and I've long been drawn to some of the themes of the play. I also love that Shakespeare wrote a play where women drive the events.In the spirit of full disclosure, no one knows Shakespeare's real birthday, and most think it was probably yesterday. All we know is that he was christened on the 26th. And Stratford celebrated today with parades and festivities. Below Jacob is standing in front of the house where Shakespeare was born (which we've toured before).

1 comment:

Heather B said...

Aw man! We totally missed it! Maybe next year. So glad you got to go and enjoy the day.