Sunday, June 28, 2009

Under the Tuscan...

We just returned from visiting, among other Italian destinations, Florence and Pisa. The obvious attraction in Pisa was the famous leaning tower. It really is leaning very precariously, and we decided NOT to climb the stairs to the top. We did attempt to take photographs that make it look like we're holding up the tower, but we didn't get great ones.

In Florence Mom and I climbed the 436 steps up to (and back down from) Il Duomo. Inside the dome are beautiful, elaborate frescoes. We still enjoyed the views from the top of the dome despite rain and poor visibility.




Another highlight of Florence was seeing Michelangelo's David. We saw the real thing in the Accademia Gallery, but photographs were not allowed. The sculpture is enormous and awesome! We took our photographs at the replica in the Piazza della Signoria.

4 comments:

BobBruff said...

Rachel, your post is very "uplifting." Thanks!

Unknown said...

Rachel's blog gives me the "support" I need through a rough work day.

Jennie said...

Piazza della Signoria means the Square of Lordly Power! Rachel do you feel empowered? Adam and Jen!

BobBruff said...

Jake, I always joke around about how I am Emily's bra--because I support her. I guess you could say that Rachel is like your jock strap.