Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ely Cathedral

Today we visited Ely Cathedral, a huge and beautiful cathedral not too far from our house. It was a fun experience for Gavin because he faced out in the Bjorn for the first time.

My Dad and I took a tour of the octagonal tower, which is not the taller tower, but I think it's the more beautiful one. Below is a view from the floor looking up into the tower. You can kinda see the paintings of angels below the stained glass; then there's a couple of photos of the angels from up close when we climbed the tower.

They wouldn't let us take Gavin on the tour because of the narrow, steep passageways to the top, and that was a good call. The next photo of my Dad descending shows how cramped that spiral staircase is.

Here are a few additional photos from our day. (I'm standing next to a statue of Saint Etheldreda, the founder of the cathedral. And that's just the romanized version of her name. It's really something like AEthelthryth.)

2 comments:

Jared said...

WOW! That looks like a lot of fun, I know Ashley is chomping at the bit to go.

Emily said...

I still think it is amazing you live so close to such remarkable buildings, and Gavin is adorable-- I love his well rounded cheeks :)